Severed fingers cookies is a somewhat common Halloween treat originally conceived by Canadian Living Magazine.
This recipe is vegan.
To make these delicious October treats, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- Mixing bowl
- Baking sheet
- wire rack
- 112g vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon (14g) vegetable fat/shortening
- 90g icing sugar
- 20g egg replacer
- ½ tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- whole blanched almonds
- red decorator gel (optional)
- Place margarine, sugar, and extracts into a bowl and beat together. Beat in flower, baking powder, salt, and egg replacer.
- Form mixture into balls. Slightly flatten, then wrap them in Saran wrap and chill for 30 minutes or more.
- Take half the dough and take 1 teaspoon of dough and form into a finger shape. Press an almond into one end to form the nail and score 3 lines for the knuckle. You can optionally poke holes in the fingers to represent hair follicles.
- Line baking sheet with baking paper and place fingers on the sheet. Place fingers in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until pale golden in color. Let cool on sheet for 3 minutes and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling process.
- OPTIONAL: Lift almond off of its setting and squeeze red decorator gel onto the opposite end of the finger and on the almond itself. Replace the almond.