Shrunken-head punch is a Halloween treat originally conceived by Canadian Living Magazine. This recipe is for the shrunken heads, as any beverage can be used for your punch. The best choices are anything that looks "bloody", such as red-colored juice for children such as blackcurrant or red grape or mulled wine for adults. Please note that the recipe will make the apples too salty to enjoy, and they are more for effect.
This recipe is vegan.
To make these delicious October treats, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- Large bowl
- Carving tool (recommended: pumpkin carving tool)
- 8 apples (firm consistency)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
You can prepare your shrunken apple heads ahead of time before display. You can refrigerate them in an airtight container lined with paper towels for upwards of 24 hours.
- Combine salt and lemon juice with 1 cup (250mL) water until salt dissolves.
- Peel your apples. Cut them in half lengthwise and use a spoon to remove both the core and seeds.
- Temporarily turn them into your mixture to prevent their browning. Remove them and use a makeshift tool—a pumpkin carving kit is suggested—to carve out eye sockets, a nose, and mouth. Once facial features have been carved out, return apples to the mixture and coat. Leave for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once ready, remove apples and pat them dry. Place them on a wire rack over either a roasting tin or rimmed baking sheet. Place into an oven and bake at 250°F (120°C) for 1½-3 hours, or until they begin to shrink and their edges lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on rack.