Silly apple bites are a healthy Halloween treat alternative originally conceived by Cara at Fork and Beans. The are gluten-, nuts-, and soy-free. They do however contain fruits and seeds.
It has a prep time of only 15 minutes, and makes 8 apple bites. They preserve well, and can be kept in an air-tight container.
- Serving size: 1 apple bite (with no googly eyes)
- Calories: 40
- Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 1mg
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 1g
To make these delicious October treats, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- paring knife
- 2 green apples, each quartered
- 2-3 strawberries, sliced
- sunflower butter
- 32 sunflower seeds
- 1-2 homemade googly eyes per apple bite
- If not already prepped, slice your apples into quarters.
- Cut the middles out of each apple wedge to create a mouth. Do not worry about cutting too deep - gap will be filled later.
- Coat inside of your freshly cut gap with sunflower butter.
- Place 4 sunflower seeds on the top of this "mouth" to represent teeth.
- Place 1 sliced strawberry in the mouth to represent the tongue.
- Use a dab of sunflower butter to glue each googly eye above the mouth. Use a mixture of one or two eyes (or if you're feeling adventurous, more!) to give each bite its own personality.