Zombie boogers is a, easy-to-make green candy coated popcorn Halloween treat originally conceived by Brooke Chandler for Paper & Parcel. Specialized treat bags were also developed alongside the recipe and put on sale, although they have been discontinued.
It has a prep time of only 1½ hours, and serves a party of 8-10.
To make these delicious October treats, you will need the following ingredients and supplies:
- 16-20 cups of popped popcorn
- 2 large shallow baking dishes
- 1 medium saucepan
To make the mixture itself:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Optionally, you can produce twice the mixture to coat your popcorn to make it look like how it appears in the image.
- Preheat the over to 250°F (95°C).
- Divide popcorn into two baking dishes.
- Melt your butter in saucepan over a medium flame. Next, stir in your sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Stirring consistently, bring to a boil. At this point, leave to boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat source and stir in vanilla extract and green food coloring until mixture is evenly colored and combined. Stir in baking soda; doing so will double your mixture. Pour the mixture over your popcorn and stir together to combine and evenly coat.
- Place popcorn into the oven. Stir the popcorn every 15 minutes for 1 hour total. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before breaking into pieces. CAREFUL: Popcorn will still be hot.